Return to SBL Governance Page
Members of the committee:
The Educational Resources and Review Committee addresses the need for accurate, academically-sound classroom resources on sacred texts for secondary schools, as well as resources that inform and educate the general public. This committee is tasked with:
- Researching current U.S. state and national standards on religion and sacred texts in public schools, with a focus on biblical and related literatures.
- Being informed about international trends and work on teaching religion/sacred texts in public settings.
- Creating connections and collaborations with faculty and teachers in the education sector.
- Developing curricular materials (modules) that will aid secondary teachers, students, and administrators in teaching and understanding critical approaches to religions and sacred texts.
- Working with other organizations such as the First Amendment Center/Newseum to focus on legal aspects of teaching religion in public settings.
- Raising awareness of the delicate issues surrounding teaching religion and sacred texts among school boards, administrators, teachers, and the general public.
Mark A. Chancey - Chair
Carleen R. Mandolfo
Kent Harold Richards
Moira Bucciarelli - Staff Liaison