Marc Brettler — the Bernice and Morton Lerner Professor of Judaic Studies at Duke University, and Dora Golding Professor of Biblical Studies emeritus at Brandeis University — has created a exceptional site: Tools for Studying the Hebrew Bible
that aims to teach students how to use the specialized tools needed for the study of the Hebrew text of the Hebrew Bible.
: Writing Systems and Languages of the World
Wikipedia also has entries for most ancient languages, some with audio components.
Biblical Languages (Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek):
Languages relevant to Biblical Studies:
- The proceedings from the conference "Origins of Early Writing Systems" the University of Peking, October 2007. They include papers and sound recordings of the presentations at the conference.
- Akkadian: Learn the language of ancient Assyrians, Akkadians and Babylonians.
- PSD: The Pennsylvania Sumerian Dictionary Project
The PSD is preparing an exhaustive dictionary of the Sumerian language which aims to be useful to non-specialists as well as Sumerologists.
- The Chicago Assyrian Dictionary
Five volumes of the Chicago Assyrian Dictionary are now free to the public for download. Click on the volumes with the down arrow (all volumes are in .pdf form).
- Ugaritic: Learn the language of ancient Canaanites.
- Beth Mardutho - The Syriac Institute Publisher of Hugoye: Journal of Syriac Studies and other resources including Syriac fonts.
- Classical Language Instruction Project: readings of Latin and Greek prose and poetry; designed to help students learn sounds of Latin and Greek and to improve their reading skills; requires Shockwave plugin.
- Ancient Sanskrit Online, by Karen Thomson and Jonathan Slocum
- Biblical Hebrew: A Student Grammar, by John A. Cook and Robert D. Holmstedt.
- Classical Greek Online, by Winfred P. Lehmann and Jonathan Slocum
- Classical Armenian Online, by Todd B. Krause and Jonathan Slocum
- Hittite Online, by Winfred P. Lehmann and Jonathan Slocum
- Introduction to Manichaean Sogdian by P. Oktor Skjærvø
- Introduction to Old Avestan by P. Oktor Skjærvø
- Introduction to Old Persian by P. Oktor Skjærvø
- Introduction to Sumerian Grammar by Daniel A. Foxvog / Elementary Sumerian Glossary /
- Introduction to Young Avestan by P. Oktor Skjærvø
- Introduction to Zoroastrianism by P. Oktor Skjærvø
- Introduction to Manicheism by P. Oktor Skjærvø
- Kurmanji Kurdish: A Reference Grammar with Selected Readings by W. M. Thackston
- New Testament Greek Online, by Winfred P. Lehmann and Jonathan Slocum
- Old Iranian Online, by Scott L. Harvey and Jonathan Slocum
- Sorani Kurdish: A Reference Grammar with Selected Readings by W. M. Thackston
- Thus Wrote Onchsheshonqy - An Introductory Grammar of Demotic (Third Edition), by Janet H. Johnson